Friday, May 27, 2016

Taking the Long Way Home

This entry is going to be more pictures than anything, but I've finally had time to sit down and write something after being home nearly 1 week. Unpacking has been a little tough to be motivated for since there's so much going on here, but I've finished finally. On my way home I stopped in Paris for 4 days, the pictures are documenting that trip (I have about 250 pictures, but I picked the 20 or so best ones). Since I've been home it's almost as if I never left. I'm still a little awestruck when I go to a grocery store and realize that there's more choices on one aisle than in most stores in Buea, and everything here seems a little expensive...    I spent enough on one banana in LAX to buy me about 25 in Cameroon. Airport food is kind of a rip off anyway, but that's beside the point. Also I'm really enjoying having a washing machine and fridge at my disposal. At any rate, on to the photos.

Sacre Coeur basilica. Pretty cool on the outside, crowded on the inside.

I stayed in the 19th arrondisement near the canal which was a really neat area


Gare St. Lazare. Just had a cool platform so I snapped a photo

Place des Vosges - Oldest planned square in Paris. Former neighborhood of Victor Hugo. Square trees and identical houses all the way around calmed the dormant OCD in me.

The dome above Napoleon's tomb

Napoleon is somewhere inside that big brown box

Right after a snack/picnic of bread and cheese in the grass

First time I've seen the Statue of Liberty (funny enough, it wasn't the one in the States...)


View from the Arc de Triomphe. Best view of the Paris skyline in my opinion

Louvre courtyard
My favorite thing in the Louvre. Count the legs!

Stained glass "rose window" inside the Notre Dame cathedral

Selfie sticks are finally getting the attention they deserve

Absolutely stunning stained glass in Sainte Chappelle. Picture is a poor representation of the grandeur. Interesting stories about this place in WWII. They took all the glass down and hid it in a basement to protect from bombings.
The iconic polar bear of the Musee D'Orsay

Formerly a train station. Great ambient lighting for the numerous sculptures there.

The Catacombs. Little boring after a while, but I went and saw old bones.

Jardin de Luxembourg. Quite a nice manicured garden, complete with tennis courts, a palace, and overpriced crepes

No comments:

Post a Comment