Friday, November 11, 2016

ReEntry Entry #4

It's been almost 6 months since I got back from Cameroon. I'm starting to miss parts of it more. The simplicity mostly. I actually kind of miss being a have-not in some ways. I feel like my life is cushy and I'm going soft here in the States. As frustrating as it was to not have access to things that would make life easier, there was something really gratifying in being able to improvise or compromise. Another thing that I miss is waking up and knowing that I'd probably see something I'd never seen before. No longer do I get to see people riding on top of tractor trailer's stacked way over their safe height. No longer do Muslim ranchers drive cows past my house. No longer do I get to attend open air markets (stressful though they were - I don't miss being catcalled). These days I still look forward to seeing something I don't every day, but those moments are less frequent here than in Africa. I also really miss the gym I worked out at and all the characters there. That place in and of itself was a people-watching treat.
 Tonight I decided to write after starting to listen to some of the Cameroonian songs that were popular while I was over there. Due to my studies I haven't been able to do a whole lot of French practice, but I was really surprised when I started listening to one of the songs and was able to get the gist of what it was saying! For the record, the meaning is rather unsavory. My memories of Cameroon are fading a lot faster than I wish they would, but I am so glad that I kept a daily journal. Of all the things I didn't do that the SM office recommended I do, I'm glad this one wasn't it! Another thing that took me back to thinking of my African home was that I received an email today from Mission 360 magazine saying that one of the stories I sent in will be published in February 2017's issue. Keep an eye out for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment