Friday, March 18, 2016

Unattained objectives

I spent Sunday through Wednesday in the capital city of Yaoundé. Here's a quick rundown of the trip: First the bad. Of course, I went to get my visa renewed and in brief - that didn't happen. I got the ball rolling, but the longer version is that I spent over $100 to go there and spend 3 days just for the people at the Union office to make a copy of my passport. This being 2016, I should think it reasonable that a photocopy could have been made here in Buea and sent to them without me having to bodily go to Yaoundé to give it to them. The hospital administration seriously dropped the ball on informing me of this, and I'm still a little sore about it. The worse news is that they'll need my real passport for the stamp in about a week, so instead of staying in Yaoundé the whole time to wait for it, I opted to come back. I either have to entrust my passport and the 50-70,000 CFA renewal fee to somebody, or return to Yaoundé myself. So it looks like I'll be going back sometime next week. This option is only possible if they get the letter back before my visa actually expires, after which I'd be restricted from travelling outside of Buea at the risk of being caught with an expired visa. Otherwise I have to trust someone with my visa, which is a little bit too risky for my preference.
                

The good part is every other part of the trip was pretty neat. After getting to Yaoundé I made it to the Union office which was closed on Sunday afternoon. The French-speaking gatekeeper miraculously figured out my problem, and called somebody who took me to the compound where some Union workers stay. This was to be my "home base" for the duration of my stay. It had great views of the city and was in the "expat" part of town (with all the embassies). This meant that there was a supermarket 100 meters from the place, as well as some awesome restaurants. I waited until 9:30 pm for the current guests to leave, and tiredly got settled in. The first thing I noticed was the persisting smell of a hamster cage, which left little doubt as to whether I was sharing the room with mice. I met a guy about my age on arriving, whose name was Markus. He spoke English really well so I quickly latched onto him. He took me on a walk to show me around the area while we were waiting for the other people to leave. Turns out he's a vegetarian too! I had pizza with him after our walk to kill a little more time. It was his first time trying pizza, and he seemed to think it was okay, although he was worried that it was too expensive.
               

Monday morning was the visa fiasco, and I struggled with my French, but kept seeming to find an English speaker at just the right time. I managed to tour the SDA dental clinic located just below the Union offices too. That afternoon I helped Markus butcher a sick goat. Ironically, of all the possible candidates living on the compound, the two vegetarians were the ones doing this...   I'm not complaining though, it was really interesting and quite possibly the most "medical" procedure I've performed here. Seeing how all the muscles, internal organs, bones, tendons, etc. are packed in there is a pretty amazing and inspiring reminder! (WARNING: Pictures included below. I've posted the tamest ones I can find. The girl who I gave my camera to took some pretty graphic shots) After washing the smell of butchered goat off my hands (this was a real challenge) I went to a Chinese restaurant walking distance from the compound. I had tofu there for the first time in 6 months! On Tuesday I took a walking tour of Yaounde, and ended up visiting a garden, a cool monument, and a zoo. I ate Indian food for dinner. I'll tell you this, it's easy for Americans to feel like America is the center of the world and English is the only language ever, but when you see two Chinese guys ordering food from an African waiter in French at a restaurant owned by an Indian guy it really shakes up this mentality! Expatriates are an interesting bunch for sure.  By Tuesday I was a lot more comfortable with my French. Not good, but comfortable. During my stay, my lunches typically consisted of bread, fruit, and (real!) cheese. The bread in Yaounde is so cheap it's practically free and it's of way higher quality than anything in Buea. There's so much more variety with pastries too. And of course there were tons of supermarkets with cold sections so cheese was readily available. Any time I saw a supermarket or bakery I always went inside, mostly just to gawk at all the options. I spent most of my time on foot, so this happened quite often. Especially on Tuesday, I think I walked probably at least 6 miles. Other highlights of the trip included tuning up the kids' community bike on the compound, eating ice cream twice, unsuspectingly getting caught in the crossfire of a shoving match in downtown Yaounde, and getting sunscreen in my eyes with my hands full, walking around semi-blind and with tears cascading down my face until I managed to hail a taxi with my eyes closed. I didn't want to stop moving to make myself vulnerable to pickpockets or muggers in the busy part of town, and I had sunglasses on to hopefully conceal the fact that I was walking around with my eyes mostly closed. Aside from failing the main objective of the trip, I'd say it was at least interesting, if not a success.


TL;DR Went to Yaounde to renew my visa. Didn't get a new visa. Got ice cream, good food, and a lot of interesting experiences including butchering a goat, desperately trying to get by with my French that's not as good as I thought it was, seeing lions in a zoo (still wish I could see something besides birds and rodents in the wild, but evidently that's not in the cards)

View from my room


Giant cathedral in the main roundpoint of Yaounde



That's right, Yaounde has a Hilton! Little out of my price range

Cool Renault delivery van that's miraculously still running and in decent shape

La Monument de Reunification


Thought it was roadkill, but nope, just naptime!

First and probably only lions I've seen in Africa

This car (now parked at the SDA Union compound) used to belong to Cameroon's first president

1 comment:

  1. Hey, could you bring that Renault delivery van home? I'd settle for that as my souvenir. As for the goat, well, never mind. Makes me a little sad that you have visited the capital city of Cameroon, BEFORE the capital of your own native country (Wash D.C.) We'll have to try to rectify that somehow in the near future, after you're back home.

    ReplyDelete