Saturday, February 20, 2016

A 3-Hour Tour...

Sorry I'm late this week! Our internet went down Wednesday, and in true African style it took until Saturday afternoon to get it working again. Anyway, it's working again thankfully!

Job update: I've learned and re-learned the fact that I don't want to spend the rest of my life as a pencil pusher. It's actually pretty ironic, because before coming here I absolutely hated any type of paperwork. Who would have imagined that I would end up doing mostly that when I came here? Clearly, I still don't care for it, but having endured it so much I think I will have a little more tolerance for it in the future. As long as I never have to do it 8 hours for 8 months again. I try to have a good sense of humor about the whole situation, and it's building character I guess. I still have waves of boredom and discouragement though. Especially when I catch flak (like I did this week), but that's how life goes! I've long since accepted the idea that I won't feel appreciated or needed here, and realized that that's not my fault, or anyone's really. I'm still hoping to have the chance to work in different parts of the hospital, but as the months go by that's looking less and less likely.

It's been a rollercoaster week, but overall pretty decent. The 4-day weekend improved my overall outlook and energy level. Unfortunately, ever since last Thursday I have had some kind of laryngeal phlegm situation going on. This in combination with really bad insomnia at the beginning of the week was a bit of a drag. I don't know if I'm actually getting sick or am just having a reaction to all the dust and dryness of the season. Either way, I've been tired this week! Last Saturday I went with the usual German group and a handful of Africans to an island off the coast in Limbe. The boat ride to and from the spot was...    thrilling. Our vessel was more comparable to a giant canoe than a typical seagoing vessel. As one might expect from a canoe in the ocean, it was super tippy and had about 6 inches of water in the bottom of it at any given time. The waves splashing over the bow were probably the most concerning part. Once we got there it became clear that this was a very small island, and there wasn't much to do there (the beach was tiny, rocky, and the swimming sucked because of all the rocks). Interesting or not I'm SO MAD because I brought my camera, but left the SD card in my computer. Did the same thing climbing Mt. Cameroon. Of course the only times there's anything to take a picture of, I'm caught with my pants around my ankles. Anyway, that's why there's no pictures this week. At the beach with nothing better to do, I spent 2 or 3 hours filling my pockets with sea glass. My theory is that people come to this island, get sozzled, and leave their broken bottles everywhere. There was so much sea glass. You could probably have filled at least one 5 gallon bucket (maybe even 2) with all of it, and the beach area was only about the size of a basketball court. It was insane. There was quite a bit of other, less attractive litter on the island too. All of the white people were trying to clean it up a little, while all of the Africans in our group pretty much canceled out our efforts. The group brought bread, Nutella, and pastries to eat for lunch, and later they prepared something with meat in it so I didn't eat any of that.  We spent about 6 hours there on the island, and it was interesting at first, not to mention relaxing. I was in the mood for a little more adventure though. I guess the boat situation quenched some of that thirst, but if there was a whale or a shark or something involved I'd have been more stoked. I'm needing to make a trip to Yaounde very soon to renew my visa, as it expires near the end of March. This is going to be a bit pricey, but I'm thinking I'll spend a night there and check out the town some while I'm out that direction. Apparently I can get a guest room at the SDA Union office for a really good price, as long as there's a vacancy.

Cameroon has tested my ability to do quick mental math. For instance, if you receive 3 coins in change from the taxi driver, how many different ways could he have given you the wrong change (not counting the coins that fell out of your pocket and got lost in the seat cushion during the trip)? Since the coins here are redesigned every time they mint a new batch (about every 10 years, part of the reason correct change is so hard to come by) sometimes you'll find that a 500 franc piece is the same approximate size and color as a 100 franc piece of a different vintage. It's also important to be able to quickly calculate cost/unit. In the U.S. buying in bulk is more economical 99% of the time. Here it's quite the opposite. A great example: Buying 1, 100 gram bar of chocolate costs 800 francs at most stands. However, buying 4, 25 gram bars costs only 150 francs apiece. This means my way is 200 francs cheaper (savings of about 40c). In perspective, this is actually a reasonable amount of money - it'd pay for your taxi ride to and from the place to actually buy the chocolate (or an extra 25 grams of chocolate and a long walk...) At any rate, it's important to keep an eye out for a cheaper alternative, and sometimes it's the opposite of what one might expect! Especially in stores and to some extent at roadside stands, the buying pressure is usually pretty low, but in the market it's hard to focus on what's a better price with all the chaos going around you. And if you even briefly make eye contact with someone or even glance in their general direction, they'll do just about everything short of physically dragging you to their stand to get your business. I've started wearing dark sunglasses any time I go and consciously focusing on using my peripheral vision. It's also good practice at firmly saying "I'm not interested". And keeping a sharp eye for pickpockets on top of all this makes shopping feel more like starring in a Jason Bourne movie.

TL;DR Another week of desk work in the history books! I'm the one writing the "history books" here at the hospital, and I have to say I like learning history better than recording it. It was a good week despite a bit of a cough and several sleepless nights. Last weekend I went to an island on a boat that even the Gilligan's Island cast would probably be suspicious of, and we were "stranded" on a small island for most of the day. Going out to shop for groceries at the market is a little like visiting WalMart in Merced on the day government checks arrive. It's tricky here because buying more isn't always a better value!

2 comments:

  1. Interesting post! What is wrong with having two SD cards; one to have in the camera and one to accidentally leave in your computer?

    Sounds like you are learning a lot! It is as important to learn what you don't want to do, as what you do want to do. It is also nice to know that you can do what you don't want to do if you really need to. But it is probably best if we think about why we are choosing to do it even though we don't want to be doing it. (We don't "have to" do anything but "live till we die" as they say.

    Hey buddy...ever think of giving me a bit more white space? Your massive paragraphs are hard to read...for my aging eyes at least.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kent. Very sage advice! Well, the SD card solution is, Duh! And the aging eyes comment is pretty ego-centric. But, the middle paragraph about "doing" this or "doing" that is timeless and profound. Wish I had thought of that.

    ReplyDelete