Friday, January 29, 2016

Fatty Foods and Fingerprints

Overall this week was a good one. I got to play squash again (this time I did a lot better!), as well as attend another "ping pong" night at the Harris' house. Last week I broke my New Year's resolution of not working out (figure if I'm gonna break them anyway, I should make resolutions that I'm better off breaking). I gave an injection this week, and worked on a monthly report. Still have been doing consultation interviews here and there too. I'm hoping to get a lesson from the head nurse on sterilizing the instruments at some point soon, seems like that's an easy-ish job that I could do. We only use instruments for circumcisions and deliveries, since the hospital OR is not O right now. So I think the sterilization machine is only run once every week or two. Literally anything other than paperwork sounds like a great time to me right now. Didn't go anywhere "exciting" this week, so the picture-highlight reel is short (and mostly of food)

I went months without seeing a cockroach until this past week, during which I nabbed 10. 8 of those were in the span of 48 hours. Actually, most of them were supine and dead or dying so "nabbed" is overly complimentary. Three I had to mash, and one was conveniently already in the bottom of my trash can (a brown paper grocery sack) scrounging around, so I just sprayed him with insecticide. Anyway, that was puzzling to me that I would go for so long without seeing them and get 8 all of a sudden! Also a little curious as to what's killing them. Fingers crossed that whatever it is isn't also slowly killing me. The insecticide smells so strong it could probably kill a horse, so I always turn on the fan and open the windows after I use it.

The positive side to my job is that it gives me a LOT of time to think. I've come up with some wild schemes, but lately this one is the best. People talk about obesity problems in the U.S., but I've discovered that Cameroonians enjoy their fair share of unhealthy, salty, oily foods too. Obesity, hypertension and diabetes are absolutely rampant here. I would say they're probably as common as in the U.S. Buea has a University with an enrollement of 12,000+ students who are relatively well off and adventurous eaters. In Molyko, the district where UB is situated, there are a handful of restaurants, but most of them are your typical shack (no health inspections here as far as I know!) that serve the same exact same menu of ~5 dishes (while supplies last) as the place next door to them. Lots of banks and offices are in Molyko, so people always have a reason to go to that area, and it's always crowded when I'm there. Cameroon doesn't have a single fast food franchise and I've been craving Taco Bell since I got here. My diabolical plot is to open a McDonald's franchise smack across the street from UB, and watch the people and profits stampede in. The nearest McDonald's franchise is in Sudan so it'd be the only golden arches for miles and miles. Douala's a port city though, so it shouldn't be too hard to get shipments here.  In the process of opening up a fast food joint I'll probably shut down every restaurant within 2 km of me. I have no doubt that Cameroonians will flock to the place. Imagine all the students craving a quick lunch at a place where the menu has 50+ items all the time instead of "Glory DJ Obama Snack Bar" (a made-up name, but a good representation) which runs out of plantains, beans, and chicken by 2pm. I bet people would make a trip from Douala just for a Big Mac. On McDonald's opening day in Kuwait in 1994, the drive thru line was 7 miles long, I'm sure I could expect a similar outcome with my venture. Honestly it wouldn't even have to be a McDonald's. I'm sure KFC or Long John Silver's would do very well here too. It's cheap food (actually for the average Cameroonian, it'd probably be mid-ranged) that offers everything they want: Salt, fat, and cholesterol galore. Not to mention it would be efficient and consistent - more than you can expect from Obama (oops, I mean "Glory DJ Obama"). Plus, the novelty of eating at a "famous" American restaurant would be a draw factor too, I'm sure. A vegetarian opening a McDon's in Africa. Crazy? Or entrepreneur of the year? We may never know.

As much as my harebrained ideas occupy my mind, I've found that my attention to detail has sharpened some as well. I was talking to my parents on the phone about the latest care packages that got here (a month after Christmas, when I was intended to receive them, but that's beside the point). I was mentioning how even if nobody put their names on the boxes, I could probably still guess who they're from just by the way they're packed. Fingerprints, if you will. I explained it all to them, and my Dad said "That sounds like good material for a blog post". The rest is history. Their calling card is wrapping everything in a big plastic trash bag, just to protect it from weather, and spills from the inside I guess. The Barlows (family friends) have sent me several care packages, and they seem to fit an impossible number of things into the boxes they send. They use about 100 Ziploc bags to individually seal everything that could potentially leak (I definitely save the bags and reuse 'em). Some differences are more subtle, but give me even more information about the senders. For instance, my family swears by Kirkland while the Barlows seem to do a lot of shopping at Target. This makes sense when I think about it because they have a Target like a mile away from their house. The Student Missions department uses pouches instead of boxes, but they have their idiosyncrasies too: Lots of candy, the occasional article of clothing, and warm fuzzy notes from friends at WWU (thanks guys!). I've gotten packages from other people too, and every box has its "signature move". I especially enjoy getting things that my family never buys. I love trying new things, which is kinda how I ended up in Africa to begin with. Then there are the things I can't explain. Like why one bag of Cheez-Its will be completely pulverized, but the one directly next to it in the box is filled with totally intact crackers. The smashed ones aren't always the ones closest to the outside either, it's completely up to chance. These fingerprints are one of many reasons I like getting care packages. I see fingerprints in other places too. Like the doctor's wife accidentally leaving her keys and/or cell phone everywhere. I know when the drug cabinet's open behind me in the office because it smells like something died in there. I can usually guess the age and gender of a kid just by measuring the intensity and duration of their crying after receiving a vaccination (Record for intensity and duration goes to a 8 year old girl. Typically infants cry intensely, but not for very long. 3 year old boys don't cry hard but they blubber for a long time. 6 year old boys are a wild card).

When I look really hard I can see the Creator's fingerprints here in this place too. And no, this is not me plagiarizing a Steven Curtis Chapman song. I'm talking less about sappy affection for people and more about the small stuff. The huge variety of fresh fruits and vegetables here for instance. Designing all those colors, shapes, and flavors must have taken some real originality! There are amazingly beautiful flowers here too, sometimes I'll be walking down the road and just have to stop and admire them for a minute. Seems like I'm always without my camera when these moments happen, but maybe it's better that way. Less to be distracted by. At any rate, sometimes I have to force myself, but I never regret trying to see things through the eyes I had when I got here. When everything was new and exciting. Before I became cynical about corruption and mismanagement. It's refreshing to just take a break and appreciate the small things (and big things that I don't notice as much anymore). I know this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, so I'm trying to enjoy as many minutes as I can.

TL;DR The week was fine. Had some good cooking, package receiving, and even one or two slightly medically related experiences. Chased cockroaches, schemed about introducing Cameroon to the golden arches, and pondered the nuances of care packages. I'm taking it a day at a time here and trying to remember to appreciate the things I appreciate, and forget about the things I don't appreciate.

Made a new friend. He's a little fruity but we get along fine.
Tuesday night - Pad Thai featuring peanut butter. First time making it. Wasn't restaurant quality but it was something new! Going to tweak the recipe a little bit in the coming weeks.
Thursday night - Gumbo turned out pretty nice

In Buea, the term "while supplies last" is a very real thing. Can't be scared to pull the trigger on 3 jars of peanut butter because it could be gone in a month, or it could be gone tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment